Monday, October 27, 2008

Bow Your Heads and...Think?

I'm getting a little fed up with the fact that religion has no place in philosophy. Most philosophical arguments come down to: "You believe this because you are not religious, or this philosophy has no place in your life because you are religious."

With the exception of few philosophers, Aquinas and Augustine included, this is almost always the case. Every philosopher inevitably comes to the concept of freedom and free will (whether they call it that or not). Likewise, most philosophers cannot believe that free will does not exist. I won't deny that I fall under that category, as well; I have a refusal to accept that my own fate and actions aren't a product of my own determination. That does not mean, however, that I have no faith in a higher being.

Every human has faith in someone or something. Religion, or even faith, while it is not a definitive source of understanding or power, it is certainly demonstrative and a source of authority for making decisions. Since one particular, uniform authority cannot be recognized as being supreme, however, the reasoning "I have faith" will never be viable.

As I continue studying philosophy, I'm beginning to realize that even having faith in oneself may not be enough of a reason to believe something. Rationalism and relativism dominate the philosophical realm, but both have problems with an aspect of faith. Rationalists must rely on themselves; relativists can, at the very least, understand a reliance on religion.

I'm not even saying that I'm particularly religious, but I just find it hypocritical that philosophers are so willing to look to every other possible rationale for an event rather than looking into man's reliance on faith and the need for a particular security. So, with no apparently concrete answer to the inevitable question of "does faith have a place in philosophy," why can't my answer of "yes" ever be right?

No comments: