Monday, November 3, 2008

It's A Very, Very Mad World

This is entirely crazy, I know, but I wish my life were more like the show Mad Men. It's awful; I'm a woman in the 21st century, and I'd rather go back to a time when women were just entering the work force and even then, it was just as a secretary.

But oh, the clothes. The a-line dresses, the bouffants, the crinoline skirts. They amaze me on a weekly basis. Sure, AMC stylizes them and puts colors together that were probably unstylish at the time, but the result is always fantastic. On that note, I'd kill to meet a man who wears a pocket square.

The way the men treat women is something of an entirely different time, rightfully so. I know some of the men on the show cheat on their wives (which I actually appreciate the show portraying--it was a time when women knew it was happening to them but couldn't do anything about it). The men who don't cheat, however, are downright gentlemen. Mad Men shows the way that courtships should happen: men never letting a woman's drink empty, holding the door open for her, promising protection and security, etc. I know that I'm romanticizing a time period that was underpinned with hardship and depression, but I'd really to think that an outwardly Doris Day existence is possible. Or maybe my mindset is stuck in the 1960s...

No comments: