Thursday, November 6, 2008

The President Elect

What’s a blog without a little controversy from time to time? So, here goes…

I am a conservative. Conservative, not Republican. I registered as an Independent voter because, honestly, I went into this election with an open mind. I didn’t like either of my choices for the next President, but I listened to each of their opinions and plans of action. I grew up with an understanding that a vote is a personal decision (my own mother never told me who she voted for), so I won’t disclose it even here. The man I wanted to win, however, won.

The problems in our country, particularly the economic pitfalls that are constantly snowballing, will not be fixed in the next four years. By anyone. If a Republican went into office and failed (which, albeit cynical, is eminent), the American people would not see a Republican in office for at least two more terms. Now that a Democrat is going into office, the American people will know that the problems in our country are not something that can be corrected quickly or easily. No amount of “Yes, we can!” will change that.

This is the awful part: I’m looking forward to seeing their Democrat hero fail. He is a celebrity, not a politician. He is a good, charismatic man, don’t get me wrong—but the American people need more than an idealistic, pretty face running our country.

As a college student soon to be job-searching in a horrible job market or taking out law school loans in an unstable economy, I’d love to eat my words in the next couple years. Only time will tell.

No comments: